Monday, July 16, 2007

Chicago, The Musical, Ordway Center for the Performing Arts - July 15, 2007

Synopsis: In 1920's Chicago, Velma Kelly, a vaudeville singer is arrested for the murder of her husband and sister. Roxie Hart, her biggest fan, who is having an affair, shoots and kills her lover when he threatens to leave her. In jail, she meets up with Velma and figures out that she needs not only a lawyer, but the lawyer, Billy Flynn. She convinces her husband to come up with the $5,000 fee for Billy and, for a while, she is the biggest celebrity murderess on the cell block, taking the spotlight from Velma. Velma, in desperation, tries (unsuccessfully) to convince Roxie to join her act once they both get out. Suddenly, an heiress is brought into jail for killing her husband who was cheating on her. Billy turns his attention to her and, desperate to get the attention back, Roxie faints. Upon awakening, she falsely claims she's pregnant. In an effort to garner sympathy with the jury, Billy convinces Roxie's husband to divorce her since the baby is not his. At the trial, Billy uses his "razzle-dazzle" to convince the jury that the murder was in self-defense and just before the verdict is read, there is a shooting/murder on the courthouse steps. Roxie is free to go, but rushes after the cameras and reporters, trying to get more publicity. They are more concerned with the "next big thing". Finally, Velma and Roxie get together to form a double vaudeville act.

Her perspective: B-

First, let me say, I love musicals. I missed this one the first run at the Ordway, but when I heard it was going to run for another week, I made sure not to miss it this time. However, I think watching the movie first somewhat ruined this one for me.

Don't get me wrong, the acting and singing was phenomenal. Gregory Harrison starred as Billy Flynn, and I think that was the highlight of the show for me. The orchestra was up on the stage in full view of the audience and the conductor played a part in the show. That was fun.

However, being that this was a Fosse show and a Broadway tour, I expected more. The choreography was bland and uninteresting; not nearly as "sexy" as I was expecting. It was very repetitive. The costumes were unimaginative and most of them didn't fit the actors or the character they were playing. There were also precious few costume changes. The chorus never changed their costumes and the leads/supporting actors had maybe one or two changes. The actress playing Velma should have been made to look "prettier". Her hair was tied back in a very severe bun and she looked old.

I was rather disappointed with the show as a whole and wished I had paid less for my ticket. It seemed that the sound people were having trouble getting the right mikes on at the right times as well. However, the novelty of live theater, especially with a couple of well-known actors, was not lost on me. I still had a good time.

1 comment:

William said...

I didn't go, cause I don't love musicals.

So I have no comment. At least she enjoyed herself.