Friday, June 15, 2007

Shooter: Mark Wahlberg, Danny Glover

Her perspective: Must See, Must Own

Synopsis: Mark Wahlberg stars as a gunnery Sergeant sniper (Bob Lee Swagger) who saw his buddy killed in Ethiopia and subsequently retired to a solitary lifestyle in the mountains. He is sought out by Colonel Johnson, played by Danny Glover, to help him plan an assassination on the President, with the intention of stopping it. Bob agrees reluctantly, and the Colonel sets him up to take the fall for the assassination. However, the President was not shot, but a dignitary from Ethiopia. Bob continues to run throughout the film, using his skills: they train you how to stay alive after they train you how to kill. He goes to his buddy's widow to help him and eventually enlists the help of disgraced FBI agent, Nick Memphis (Michael Pena).

Review: Great Writing! There is quite a lot of humor and excellent one-liners. The plot is a bit complicated, yet easy to follow. Very good story line; a bit of a twist on a plot I've seen before. It moved along quickly right from the beginning and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. There was just enough action, not too much, not too little; nothing gratuitous.

1 comment:

William said...

His viewpoint:

Worth seeing. They did a very good job on the technical aspects of the film regarding the use of weapons and such. I had recently seen a few shows on Discovery and the Science Channel regarding weapons use and I knew quite a few of the technical details regarding long range shooting before walking in the theater. They did a very good and believable job on this aspect.

The story itself wasn't bad, and reminded me a lot of The Fugitive, but with enough changes and new shots to make it enjoyable. There were a few different points during the movie that I thought "Maybe this is the point where the writers/director/producer/somebody will throw in this really powerful plot twist, the kind that throw the story a whole new curve and make the audience wonder how on earth they thought up that excellent twist.", but it didn't happen. I'm pretty good at guessing the direction of a story, and I thought they might throw some good twists in (because I could see the setup for it in the story) but they didn't go there.

Still, good film. We weren't able to catch this in a big theater, instead we caught it last day at a $2 theater. I wish now I could've seen this on a bigger screen with a better sound system.

I will most likely buy this on DVD.