Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Nook

Her perspective: C-

After seeing a special on this place on the Food Network, we decided to head out and see if it's as good as Matt's Juicy Lucy that we love.

This is a very small restaurant with barely any waiting room. We had to hear from someone in line that the bartender was taking care of the waiting list. I was hoping that the long line meant the food was worth the wait. It was completely packed. We waited about a little less than an hour and ended up sitting at the end of the bar, in perfect view of the kitchen. Bill ordered a Coke and I ordered a Cherry Coke (Coke and grenadine). They both tasted a bit odd.

For an appetizer, we decided on cheese curds. They seemed undercooked and didn't have much flavor. The Ranch dressing they were served with it was really tasty, though.

We both ordered their signature burger: "Juicy Nookie". It mentioned in the menu that they are all cooked to medium and all are served with their fries which we had learned from the Food Network were "marinated" in vinegar. When we got our burgers (which have the cheese in the middle of the burger, in case you're unfamiliar with a Juicy Lucy), we noticed that they weren't very hot, especially the cheese in the middle. The meat tasted better than the burgers we get at Matt's, but not by much, and my burger was cooked Medium Rare to Rare, rather than the Medium it said in the menu. My stomach is very delicate right now due to my medical issues, so this was not good news. Also, both our orders of fries were very overcooked. We had noticed that the cook had cooked some fries, left them sitting over the fryer (which makes them soggy), then popped them back into the grease when he got an order for them, just to heat them and crisp them up a bit. That explains why ours were overdone.

We heard the bartender talking to the party next to us at the bar and she was saying that they were busy before they appeared on the Food Network, but were even busier afterwards. There is a second location about a mile away, but neither of us remember them saying anything about a second location on the show. So all the extra business is going to this location, which can't handle it. It just seemed like they were so busy, that the cooks were just trying to get the food out to the guests, but not making sure it was properly cooked.

The bartender had mentioned that the other location (which in the menu was called "The Irish Nook") was on Randolph and West 7th St. We looked for it and couldn't find it. The only pub that was there was a place called Shamrock's. When we got home, I looked on line and found out that the actual name of the second location is Shamrock's Irish Nook. The words irish nook were nowhere to be found on the sign outside, so there was no way for us to know that it was the right place.

Overall, we were very disappointed. It is definitely not worth the wait. I might go back for appetizers if I want to go someplace that's packed - and that will never happen... We will probably give the other location a try at some point, but most likely not soon. We would much rather get our Juicy Lucy's from Matt's at 35th and Cedar on Minneapolis.

1 comment:

William said...

I'm giving this place a D.

I'd bet the food would've been better and such if they weren't so busy. Don't get me wronghere. I don't mind waiting for a table or anything like that as long as the food is worth it. In this case, on this day, it wasn't.

I also need to touch on something Maryanne didn't put in. I ended up sitting at the end of the bar, next to the kitchen and the opening that all the staff use to get tot eh kitchen, behind the bar, etc.

I didn't mind that. I did however mind the one staff guy that felt he had to rub up against me each and every time he went by. I moved over twice to make more room, and still he was doing it.

I did very much mind this same staff guy deciding that the to-go order he was bagging up needed to sit right in front of me on the bar. I don't mean the opposite edge, I mean right in front of me. If I hadn't been watching him, and figured out what he was going to do and sat up straight, I would've been holding it for him instead.

I also very much minded the empty glasses, bottles and dirty table rags that kept getting put down and left sitting in front of me the whole time. I'm eating my burger, staring at my coke and 3 more empty beer glasses and an empty bottle. The bar isn't very wide, so there isn't much space to begin with, and I really didn't like staring at other peoples dirty dishes while I'm eating my food. And the rags kinda smell.

I had a very good view of the kitchen, grill and fryers though. I had to wonder why fries had to go into the fryer three times to get cooked... I figured out after watching for awhile that they were just heating them up after letting them sit. I ate the burger, didn't eat the fries (bordering on burnt and I could taste it) and we didn't finish the cheese curds (and I love cheese curds!).

If we go back, I'm asking for or waiting for a table. I don't want to see how they are cooking my food, and I don't want to know how they are cooking other peoples food either.

I most likely will not be back. We'll still try the other location (and review it) but I don't have high hopes at this point.